After a strong storm in the area, it's always important to inspect your Colorado home for damages. Damage most often occurs to roofing, siding, gutters, and windows. Before calling in an expert, you can perform an at-home inspection with these insider tips.
Search High and Low for Signs of Damage
Doing your own home inspection in Colorado requires immense attention to detail. Missing any signs of damage can lead to more extreme water damage after rainfall. To avoid missing any signs of damage, it's recommended to start from the ground up. Start with this list during your at-home inspection:
- Debris on Ground: One of the easiest ways to spot if your home has damage is to scour the ground for pieces of siding or shingles. Even the smallest signs of a broken exterior should be addressed to avoid further damage the next time it storms.
- Check Windows and Siding: Once you've looked on the ground, you can direct your attention to your home's siding and windows. Take some time to inspect your siding from ground level to the highest areas and make sure to mark off any damages so they can be easily spotted when repairing.
- Get on a Ladder: Now that you've done all that you can do from the ground, it's imperative to get on your ladder to get an up-close look at your roofing. If you had a hail storm hit your home, look closely at the shingles and if they're asphalt there may be small holes left behind.
- Clean Gutters: Regularly cleaning your gutters is imperative to the longevity of your roof. While cleaning your gutters, make sure to look for broken pieces of shingles and vents. Contact the best gutter installers to inspect your gutter thoroughly to prevent water damage in the future.
- Inspect Attic Space: While inspecting your attic, make sure to use proper lighting so you don't miss any signs of damage. Water is a key indicator of roof damage and can be very telling if there's damage. While up here, take note of any musty smells or animal droppings and tell your roofer right away.
Schedule a Free Inspection with Colorado Roof Toppers
Inspecting your home for damage after a storm is just the first step in getting the proper help. If you have any doubts about the integrity of your home, call Colorado Roof Toppers immediately to schedule an inspection. We use the industry's finest technology to find even the smallest signs of damage that could otherwise lead to issues.
With a dedication to success and creating happy customers, you'll always receive outstanding customer service and workmanship from a BBB A+ rated and accredited GAF home remodeler. We specialize in residential roofing, commercial roofing, gutter installations, and storm damage restoration services in Longmont and beyond. Reach out today for more information!
Subscribe to Colorado Roof Toppers's Blog