Algae and moss growth on roofs are a common recurring problem that many homeowners deal with. When left untreated, algae can have an adverse effect on the long-term performance of your roof while moss buildup can lead to extensive moisture-related damage to your roof deck.
A trusted roofing contractor shares some tips for preventing algae and moss growth:
- Trim tree branches. Moss prefers to grow in the shade. Trimming overhanging tree branches back will allow more sunlight to reach the roof and reduce the accumulation of fallen leaves and other debris. Also, consider moving garden features, like trellises, so they do not cast shade on the surface of the roof.
- Choose algae-resistant shingles. When there is moss, there is also algae, as both thrive on the same damp and sunless conditions. Fortunately, you can ward off algae infestation by installing algae-resistant shingles.
- Clean the roof regularly. Debris will collect on your roofing over time, and there is nothing much you can do about it. Just be sure to have your roof regularly cleaned using a leaf blower or a similar non-abrasive method as part of the annual or bi-annual roof maintenance routine to avoid the potential for algae and moss growth.
- Keep gutters clean. For proper water drainage, it is important to clean your gutters out at least twice a year. Do not allow your gutters to develop clogs as this can lead to rotted fascia boards, stained siding, unwanted plant growth and leaks in the roof.
- Add a metal strip. A copper or zinc strip installed on the ridge of the roof can prevent the growth of algae and moss. As time goes by, the metal strip will oxidize and wash down when it rains, making the roof plane less habitable for algae and moss.
You can count on certified contractor Colorado Roof Toppers for high-quality residential roof replacement, roof maintenance and storm damage repair. Call our professional team today at (720) 807-4539 or (970) 660-6369 to learn more about our services. You may also fill out our online form to request a free, no-obligation quote. We work with homeowners in and around Fort Collins, CO.